Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My First Day Out

The next morning everyone, expect Lucas, came in for breakfast.  This was to be the first day I would go out with the other horses in the fields.  I was a little excited.  I was to go out with Lucas and my brother – yay!

Lucas was already in his field and so after breakfast my human mom led me out of the barn, down the driveway past the house she lives in, onto the lane and to the field to meet Lucas.  One of her students came with us to help.  She walked behind me to help push me on when I was scared of something. 

There were lots of things to look at on the way, but I managed to be brave and made it to the field.  My mom led me into the field to meet Lucas.  He was very kind to me and after sniffing me, we walked off into the field to eat grass.  I liked it in the field with Lucas.  My mom and her student watched us for a while, to make sure we were ok together and then walked away.

After a while I could hear a horse walking on the road towards my field.  Lucas and I ran up to the fence to see who it was.  It turns out it was my mom and her student with my brother, Aviator.  They were bringing him round to let out into the field with me and Lucas.  He and Lucas were field mates. 




Here is Aviator and me with my mom.







Mom walked into the field with Aviator, holding on to his lead rope, so that we could sniff each other and make sure we would be friendly.  Everything went well, so after a little bit my mom let Aviator free. I thought this was great.  I would get to play with my brother.  Unfortunately my brother had other ideas!  I don’t think he liked me and started to chase me.  I ran as fast as I could around the field, but Aviator kept coming after me.  Every time I stopped for a breather, he would charge at me again, so I had to run again.  My mom tried to stop Avi but couldn’t catch him, so I tried to escape by running back to the gate, but I couldn’t stop in the mud and ran through the gate on to the road!!

Ah oh, I didn’t know what to do then.  The only place I knew was the barn and the other horses, so I trotted down the road and around the corner back up towards the barn.  My mom came running after me, once she made sure Lucas and Aviator couldn’t get out of their field, and even her student tried to stop me with her car.  

I stopped running when I got to barn gate and stood a trembled.  I was very scared and very out of breath.  My mom came up to me slowly, so I wouldn’t get scared and run away again, and got hold of my halter.  She talked to me softly again and stroked me to try and calm me down.  I was hot and sweaty by now and still shaking.  She led me back into the barn and into my stall.  She made sure I had some hay and water and brushed me to help cool me off.  I was very glad to be back in the safety of my stall.  Once I was ok my mom left to go and fix the gate.


From that day on I only went out in the field at night with Lucas.  I would come in in the morning and Aviator would go out.  That way I would not get chased, but got to eat lovey grass with my friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment