Saturday, May 10, 2014

New Field

My friend Lucas decided he wanted to go to another farm and meet new horses, so I had no one to go out in my field and play with me.  So my mom decided it was time for me to go in the big field with all the other horses at the farm.

This would be ok, but Handsome doesnt like new horses in his field.  He is fine with me being in the next stall to him in the barn, but being in the same field is another matter.  I have been told that he has chased at least three horses out of the field so far and knocked a hole in the barn wall when he tried to chase another one! If you dont believe me here is photographic evidence!



Mom had to have the barn rebuilt after this. He made a real mess of the wall and his leg, 30 stitches!!  His leg is ok now.

I was a little worried about going out in the field, but mom put me out with one horse at a time so we could meet.  First it was Blackie.  He is a Shetland pony and very small.  He just likes to be left alone and after sniffing me walked off to eat grass.


Then mom let Wally out with me.  He is a very clever old horse and I think I can learn a lot from him.  He is a Quarter Horse.  (He was the one Handsome was trying to chase when he fell through the barn wall!) Wally was ok with me.  He made faces at me, but didnt do anything else.  I think I will do as he tells me.


The next horse to be let out into the big field with me was Prissy, she is a Mustang.  She is the only girl at the farm and can be very bossy.  The other boys are scared of her, but I am not!!  She tried to boss me, but I didnt let her.  I think I am the only one she is scared of.


The last one out with me was Handsome, a Thoroughbred.  I wasnt looking forward to this at all, but mom had given him some sort of medicine to help calm him down and this seemed to work.  He did try to chase me, but his head was a bit cloudy and he found it easier to eat grass and make ugly faces at me instead.  After a few days like this he decided it was easier to accept me into the field.  I was glad of this because he is bigger than me.


So, after a week or so everything was quiet in the field.  Handsome has to be first into the barn followed by Wally, Prissy, Blackie and then me.  We settled down into a routine and that made mom happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment